“It is far more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has.”
“Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.”
Terrain homeopathy is a specialized form of homeopathy, better suited to the toxic conditions of people today than the classical form. Were it not for politics, homeopathy would probably be the proven science of our time.
What is Homeopathy?
The word homeopathy, comes from the Greek: “homoios” meaning similar and “pathos” meaning suffering.
The founder, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, came up with the concept of like treating like after giving himself cinchona bark and noting that it caused malarial symptoms. For example, onions in their whole form cause runny nose and weepy eyes, characteristics of allergies. So used in homeopathic doses, it treats allergies. Ipeca, used in whole form to cause vomiting, treats vomiting homeopathically.
So the principle of homeopathy is that it uses a substance that causes the problem to treat the problem. The substance is diluted down multiple times to achieve various strengths. The more dilute the substance is, the deeper in the body it works.
How Are the Remedies Made?
All kinds of substances—plant, animal and mineral—are used. The substance is ground up and extracted into water or alcohol, or mixed with lactose powder. It is then put through the dilution process:
1 part substance added to 9 parts diluent is equal to a 1X dilution, or 1/10th solution. So a 3x dilution would be taking the substance, diluting it 1 part to 9 parts diluent, then taking 1 part of that solution, adding it to 9 more parts diluent, and then repeating that one more time. So
3x = 1/10 x 1/10 x 1/10 or 1/1000th actual dilution.
Diluting 1 part substance to 100 parts diluent equals a 1CH (hundredth) dilution (sometimes shortened to C dilution. So a 200CH dilution is made by mixing the substance 1 to 100 200 times.
Diluting 1 part substance to 999 parts diluent equals a 1 M (thousandth) dilution. So a 3M solution would be 1/1000 x 1/1000 x 1/1000 or 1 to 109 dilution.
K dilutions stand for the Korsakovian method where the dilution is done in a single flask. Instead of mixing each dilution in a clean flask each time as in the X, C and M dilutions, here the flask is emptied of all but the 1 part substance solution and then the diluent part is added.
Making a homeopathic dilution cannot be done without an important process called succussion. Succussion is shaking the dilution vigorously up to 100 times. This causes a release of the “energy” contained in each molecule. The higher the dilution, the more energy has been released, and the deeper the effect of the remedy. Today succession is not done by hand, but by machine.
What is Homeopathic Treatment?
There are 4 standard Homeopathic Miasms into which people are categorized for treatment. The miasms are best described in terms of energy and the ability to react.
- Psoric: primarily identified by congestion, is described as hyperergic or high energy. Children today exemplify the psoric type. These folks have lots of reserve energy. They keep things on the surface, push out whatever challenges them. When angry they yell and scream. Systems that are usually affected are digestive, respiratory or genital. Psorics often have violent skin eruptions or itching. When they get sick, it is sudden, violent, with high fever, and is over quick. Workaholics, they work 16-20 hours/day, push themselves, overloading their system. They can burn the candle at both ends. But they usually overindulge in food, drink, and work. So they usually end up breaking down, moving to either the sycotic or tuberculinic categories where they degenerate into states of anergy (no energy) or weakness, developing, for example, chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Sycotic: identified by edema. The sycotic miasm is described as hypoergic or low energy. These folks hold on to toxic material because they don’t have enough energy to discharge all the toxins. It shows up as skin growths like skin tags in late 20’s-30’s. They usually need a lot of sleep, at least 8 hours to rebuild energy. They are calm, equilibrated, because they internalize things. They are often overweight and often have conditions that end in “-itis” such as sinusitis, arthritis, etc. But by not discharging their emotions, they store up things inside that later turn toxic, move into luetism with cancers for example. They become full of toxins, and usually any toxic discharge is simple overflow.
Both the psoric and sycotic miasms involve intoxication, spasms, inflammation, and exudates.
3. Tuberculinic: identified by degeneration, suppuration. The tuberculinic miasm is described as anergic or no energy. These folks have almost no energy. They don’t have enough energy to mount a reasonable temperature or blood pressure, so these are usually low. They can show allergic reactions to toxins but most toxic material stays in the body. They stay sick for a month after illness leaves. They are usually pathologically thin, demonstrate conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. They are usually demineralized. Illnesses last forever, and they can’t usually mount a fever even if they should. Yin energy is gone. Without energy, most toxins remain in the body, damaging the tissues.
4. Luetic: identified by ulceration, induration, sclerosis. The luetic miasm is described as dysergic, or unpredictable energy. Some days they have energy, and some days they don’t. But even when present, energy is too little to react, so most material stays in the body. This is the category where lesional diseases exist in the body such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer. Luetics usually look older than their age. Most toxins remain in the body, damaging the tissues.
Both tuberculinic and luetic miasms involve tubercules, paralysis, gangrene, and necrosis.
In homeopathy, the cause of illness is the breaking down of the balance of vital energy.
What are the priorities in patient care? The patient is interested in the symptoms. The homeopath is interested in the signs. Though signs and symptoms describe the same conditions, signs are objective while symptoms are subjective. The homeopath tries to understand the cause of the sign, and treat it, not just cover up the symptom. “We try to unravel the ball of wool to understand the problem, not cut it off like the allopath.” Conventional medicine makes the symptoms disappear—paves the way toward chronic and degenerative diseases. Homeopathy analyzes the signs, works to eliminate the cause, therefore promoting healing.
Homeopathy for the Individual Terrain
the teaching of Gérard Guéniot, M.D.
“Each human being is unique and follows his own path” However, he or she shares characteristics with other individuals owing to his terrain. The purpose of terrain medicine is to use these common characteristics. Because only homeopathy defines terrain in a clear, simple and natural way, it holds a major place within this form of medicine.
There are 4 possible temperaments in people.
- Lymphatic: represented by childhood, is non-active, more emotional but hard showing it. Builds tumors, phlebitis, etc. There is a risk of sitting back, not doing anything.
- Sanquinous: represented by adolescence, is more intuitive, emotional, hot-tempered. Risks active congestion, is susceptible to hypertension, strokes. Risk is to be too superficial, partying all the time.
- Bilious: represented by the adult, is primary, active, has to do something, sorts things, chooses, manages metabolism. Will have metabolic problems. Logical, uses reasoning, turns to outer world. The risk is to go into depression if he sits. He feels guilty because he feels he should be busy. He needs activity for the sake of activity.
- Nervous: represented by old age, not physically active, not emotional, more logical, uses reasoning, turns inward. Has problems eliminating, neuralgias. Always thinking. Risk is brain gets overloaded, can’t stop thinking.
We all have a certain temperament from birth. Problems will get worse during the stage that is for that age. Lympathics are sick more in childhood, sanquines sick more during adolescence. Nervous people have problems during old age. As the person ages, they will sometimes move into the next type. Sanguinous aging can become Sanguino-bilious for example.
Constitution is the third homeopathic evaluation. It is the inner potential. It is secret, personal. No one sees it or knows it, even us. Only when we are faced with a particular event will it be expressed. It is the spiritual qualities of the person.
Constitution was originally categorized according to bone formation into 3 categories:
- Carbonic: has ordered structure, with horizontal force, is slow to grow, stocky, conservative, a hard worker, rigid, solid.
- Phosphoric: has ordered structure with vertical force. Rapid growth. Adapts easily, evolves, varies; fragile, fatigable, more interested in intellectual work and abstract concepts.
- Fluoric: has disordered structure with twisted growth. Curved stature, cypho-scoliosis, hyperlaxity. A gambler who takes risks. Cannot chose. Revolutionary, anarchists, no roots, no order in life.
Two more categories have been added:
- Muriatic: Phosphoric on top (attracted to vertical forces on the top of his body), carbonic at bottom (attracted to horizontal forces on bottom) Can hook into both forces at same time. Occurs at puberty—body changes at puberty.
- Silicea: very disordered. Doesn’t really exist, but has potential to exist. Appears at puberty. Start out as phosphoric as children, then become fluoric.
There are three terms important in homeopathy.
- Cure is when the symptoms disappear in the reverse order of their appearance.
- Illness moves from within outwards, from above downwards. So as the homeopathic remedies work, we can see these steps reverse themselves.
- Suppression is an important concept because it is the basis of western medicine. Any local suppression of localized symptoms or of a reaction of elimination, worsens the individual’s health status.
Avoid using high dilutions first. Never begin a treatment without drainage. As long as the patient eliminates toxins, he defends himself.
Aggravation occurs when:
- An illness sinks deeper,
- An illness rises to the brain
- An illness persists or becomes more complicated, with new symptoms.
- Sometimes aggravation, by a well-chosen homeopathic remedy at the beginning of treatment, signals the organism’s capacity to react to information in the medication. The disease speeds along more quickly to a cure.
In conclusion, Homeopathy always works. If it appears to not be working, the remedy might not be right or the person has roadblocks to recognize the information. Treat chronic diseases by treating the miasm. Always use drainage (or cleansing) as described in the Seven Steps to Healing.